The Carolina Panthers have a great season ahead of them and us Charlotteans are dying to watch every last second of their games. We have some amazing home field games to attend this year but what about those away games? Charlotte has you covered with these top 5 places to watch the game offering game day menus, drink specials and PLENTY of televisions. GO PANTHERS!
1) Draught Charlotte - Charlotte's newest Panther's location sits directly behind the stadium on Cedar St. For those of you who have been in Charlotte for more than a year know that this is the original location of Hartigan's and the party is just as wild during the games. Draught is the official location for Cans Recycled so expect Kiss 95.1 to pump out the tunes, large outdoor televisions on the patio, plenty of pounders to drink and of course some amazing game day food including nachos, pretzels and pub burgers - YUM!
2) The Doghouse - Positioned even closer to the stadium is the infamous Doghouse. The bar features a lawn decorated as a football field t play cornhole, a stage that always has the best music to jam out to and of course the large indoor and outdoor bar that gives you plenty of space to grab a nice cold one. The Doghouse has been open since 1997 and it's stronger than ever! They have plenty of TV's to cheer on the Panthers with old and new friends.
3) Brevard Court - To some of you this area is known as the "French Quarter" but this brilliant hidden gem is filled with some of the best bars in Charlotte and one of the best tailgates! While walking around the massive crowd that settles in Brevard court check out the 30 year old French Quarter restaurant, Courtyard Hooligans, and Valhalla. Watch the game in the adjacent parking lot with a massive blow up screen to cheers with your friends your Carolina Panthers.
4) All American Pub/Oak Room - Home of last years Cans Recycled these locations definitely did not need the help this year! During the day All American Pub is packed to the brim with hungry fans watching one of their several dozen flat screen TV's. Their menu is full of great game watch foods and their drink list is perfect for sharing a bucket or two. Once the sun goes down, Oak Room next door has great music and plenty of party space to celebrate a Panther win!
5) Tyber Creek Pub - South End has some fantastic bars to attend to watch the games but Tyber Creek has a great space to do it in style. Two stories with televisions everywhere (albeit older TV's), easy access bars, and a huge patio with games and plenty of seating. Tyber also features great drinks specials and incredible Irish style food that you will crave after being inside for a few minutes. Of course they have plenty of Guinness on tap too!
Our friends over at Sugar Creek Brewing Company have announced that they will be opening their doors this upcoming weekend, September 19th at 4pm, followed by a Grand Opening Celebration to be held on the weekend of Friday, October 10th and Saturday, October 11th.
The brewery is located in historic Southend, located at the old side of Olde Mecklenberg Brewery. Festivities during the Grand Opening Celebration will include fresh craft beer, live music, barbecue, outdoor games, and tours of the newly renovated facility.
“Belgian brewers make the world’s best beer because they are never afraid to challenge the status quo. They do this while always being sure to maintain the highest standards of quality. We hope to maintain the same level of commitment to excellence for Charlotte’s beer lovers.”-CEO Joe Vogelbacher
Prior to its Grand Opening, Sugar Creek will offer patrons a chance to preview its beer and taproom via a soft opening on September 19th at 4pm. The brewery will then be open every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday until October 10th. After the official Grand Opening, the brewery will follow normal operation hours.
Tomorrow afternoon, D9 Brewing is celebrating their grand opening of their brand new 5,000 sqft brewery. You heard me right, 5,000 SQFT!! To make sure they are not forgotten in the ever growing popularity of breweries in Charlotte they are kicking off the party right.
First off the event is FREE. That's right FREE. The beer isn't but who can argue with that? All you have to do is stop by one of the following location to buy beer tokens. $16 dollars gets you 4 tokens
Davidson Beverage Company (Davidson)
Cork and Cask (Cornelius)
Crafty Beer Guys (Huntersville)
Carolina Beer Temple (Matthews)
The Beer Growler (Charlotte)
Salud Beer Shop (Charlotte)
Brawleys Beverage (Charlotte)
So what else are you getting at this FREE event? How about:
Music - Bryan Anderson, Tony Monteith, Glass Hammers, Dukes and Smith, and more.
Food - Imperial Sandwich Company, Hot Box, and MasterBacon
Games - FREE Corn Hole Tournament w/ Prizes, Corn Hole, Beer Pong, and Ladders by Bar Athletes
Of course the Beer - D9 Brewing Company along with Davidson Beverage, Carolina Beer Temple and Crafty Beer Guys serving ALL North Carolina selections
The event starts at 2pm tomorrow (9/13/14) at 11138-C Treynorth Drive Cornelius, NC 28031. Make sure to check out the link below to RSVP.
I love the start of football. Besides the start of fall, fantasy team drafts, buffalo chicken everything, and of course Sunday Funday all come to mind when football gets into gear. There wouldn't be a true Sunday Funday without cocktails...Am I right?
For those early tailgating in preparation for those 1pm games, I've compiled a list of the best Bloody Mary options in the Charlotte area.
1. Tupelo Honey-With their "farm fresh" approach, Tupelo Honey focuses on creative menu options and the freshest ingredients. Their menus have a seasonal focus around the produce and their flavors. Their cocktail menu is just as creative, and their bloody mary options mark as my favorites in Charlotte. Yes, I said options. From their traditional Bloody Mary made with vodka to their "Moonswine Mary" that offers bacon, pimento cheese-stuffed olives, and a bacon salt rim, you'll be happy you stopped over in Southend. However, that's not even my favorite Tupelo Honey Bloody Mary. The Queen Mary is 20 ounces of "over the top" deliciousness, that even the most traditional Bloody Mary enjoyers can respect. Made with roasted yellow tomatoes, moonshine, and a large array of tasty options (Maple Bacon, Pickled Jalapenos, Grilled Shrimp, etc), this cocktail is the Queen of Bloody Marys.
2. The Thirsy Beaver-This dive bar is your perfect neighborhood honkytonk bar. The crowd and bartenders are friendly. The jukebox is filled with tunes. The PBR tallboys is cheap. For those of you who haven't tried the Bloody Marys at The Thirsy Beaver...it's a hidden novelty that needs to be on your list. It's salty, it's vodka is heavily poured, and the hint of spice at the end makes you need the next sip. Sold.
3. Dandelion Market-For the Uptown crowd, Dandelion Market is the place to go when you want to dance the night away upstairs, and then recover heavily over brunch and their Bloody Mary bar. Their Bloody Mary bar is for those that want options. You want alot of bacon? You got it. Want to add gin instead of vodka? Go ahead, you crazy kid.
4. Tavern On the Tracks-If you want to watch Football and drink your Bloody Mary too, this bar is the place to be. TVs line surround the bar area, making the chances of your game being on very likely. Their food menu has alot of great sandwiches, wraps, and wings to accompany your salty beverage, and their drink menu keeps everyone happy.
5. Whiskey Warehouse-Ballin' on a Budget? Whiskey Warehouse is the place for you. With large TVs, a roofttop bar, and spacious seating, sit back and relax while you're watching football. On Sundays, they offer $2 Mimosas and $3 Bloody Mary bar. Your wallet can take a sigh of relief.
A truck devoted solely to all thinks bacon?
Yep, it's real.
If you haven't headed over to Food Truck Friday in Historic Southend, you're missing out. The best of Charlotte's food trucks gather together on Friday nights in an empty lot to celebrate. From the Bacon Response Unit, Tin Kitchen, Herban Legend, Papi Queso, to Roots Down and more, the food trucks make it easy for you to try anything you have been missing out on by gathering at one place during one time frame. Family time, friend gatherings, people with dogs, and dates occur all around you as you waft in the savory and sweet flavors from the trucks while waiting in line. What a better way to start your weekend off then with a giant picnic?
I went with a group of friends this past to Food Truck Friday. We were able tp beat some of the traffic by getting their early, and still had time to grab a few drinks at Common Market. For those of you who are newbies to Food Truck Friday, here are some tips to help you out:
-You can bring your pets, but make sure they are on a leash
-Be sure to get their before 7:30pm, as the place becomes crowded, and parking is limited.
-Food Truck Friday is BYOB, but Common Market next to the lot sells a large array of bottled beer/wine
-Seating is limited, but you can bring lawn chairs!
-This is a family friendly event. Bring your dog, but ignore their begging. I had a golden retriever giving me sad eyes over my Chrome Toaster fried potatoes. No, I did not share.
-The later you arrive, the more likely the food trucks are to run out of something.
-Parking is sparse so use the light rail or walk if you can!
Check out Food Truck Friday this weekend! The weather is hot and the food will be ready! Who wants to cook after a long weekend?
Charlotte has a hugely dense population in the city during the week thanks to some of our heavy hitting companies such as Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Ally Bank and trust me - many many many more! With all these hard working, life changing people, at the end of the day they need to unwind with friends and colleagues with a great happy hour. To me “Happy Hour” is not just the drinks, it’s the food and atmosphere too. With that being said, here is my list of some fantastic spots to hit up after work in the city.
1) Chima Brazilian Steakhouse
This spot is known as the all-you-can-eat meat spot for a gorgeous dinner. It may feature high prices on the dinner menu but the happy hour is great! This is a perfect spot for taking your out-of-town boss somewhere that will impress the socks off of them. The atmosphere is laid back, intimate (but not too intimate) with casual upbeat music and comfortable décor and seating. This little unknown spot offers bites all under $10 and cocktail specials every night of the week. Make sure you get there between 5pm – 7pm to get the deals. They change often so check them out and impress your colleagues you know a thing or two about the city they didn’t!
2) McCormick and Schmick’s
This seafood centric spot also adorns high prices that may turn those looking for a deal away. Fair not! During happy hour, 5pm – 7pm, they have $5 bites and even $5 drinks! Another spot to feel classy while sipping a martini and eating grilled shrimp. This is a hot spot for big wig corporate employees to hang out and play, so make nice – you’ll never know who you’ll meet!
3) Flemings Prime Steakhouse and Wine Bar
I have deep connections with Flemings since I used to work in the same building and as I’m sure you could imagine, frequented quite often. The bar is small and cozy, just the way it should be. The bar tenders are friendly and the seats are comfortable. Don’t be fooled by the fancy steakhouse décor and the allure of Fleming’s cost – this happy hour is phenomenal. From 5pm until 7pm they offer $6 bites which include filet mignon sandwich bites, grilled streak trio, wedge salads and the tuna tartar tacos. The drink menu is great too with draft, wine and cocktail specials. Of course you can go to a dive bar and eat, drink cheaper but the opportunity to eat food like this for that prize is one not to be missed.
4) Ri Ra’s Irish Pub
I love Ri Ra’s starting from lunch to late night drinking on the roof. Some of the best things about Ri Ra’s are their loyalty program – if you’re not a member it’s worth it – they’re beer list, and their food. What makes them even better is during Happy Hour they have ½ off appetizers from 5pm – 7pm! If that wasn’t enough for you, stop by specifically on a Monday night to get half off select burgers (with a side) AND ½ apps! Just be sure to get there early because you will be waiting. Just grab a perfectly poured Guinness while you wait.